I’m baaaaaaack! I know you guys missed me But as promised I did blog once while away, so I didn’t leave you hanging too long. Nashville was awesome. Faye finished up recording her guitar and vocals for her album but her producer, this guy named Gus (he’s a hoot), will continue to work on it until it’s finished. It’ll probably be done in the early fall, but I’ll let you guys know. It’s sounding amazing already; this kid does not sound 16 years old. While I was there I was talking to the manager of a local Nashville band that we were hanging out with, and the way he described her was spot on: “On stage, you hear her and she sounds like she’s a 50 year old woman who has had 5 kids and been divorced twice, and then in between songs she cracks a joke a 12 year old would tell, and gets giddy about boys.” Well put, my man, well put.
Anyways, I ate lots of yummy stuff, did lots of fun things (e.g. hang out with Dawes and watch their concert from backstage), and did a little shopping too. I even got a bunch of new plates and bowls to use for food photography! Thank you, Goodwill, for bestowing upon me 6 plates, 3 bowls and a mug for like 5 bucks.
While I was there I also dropped in at a Crossfit box in East Nashville called Crossfit615 and knocked out Fran (for any non-Crossfitters, that’s the name of a workout, not a person). If you’re ever in Nashville looking for a place to drop in for a WOD, go there! Brandon, the owner, is so nice, and they don’t charge a thing for drop ins! I bought a shirt though to show my support since it’s a small box.
Does anyone watch MasterChef? I’m catching up on the past couple episodes I missed right now. I love it. And I may or may not have a little crush on Gordon Ramsey…
So I hate to toot my own horn, but the flavor combination of these muffins is stupid good. I never used to think of myself as an orange person, but I’m slowly finding out that I really enjoy things infused with orange flavor. And these muffins are the prime example. The coconut milk, oil, flour and flakes all provide a sweet but neutral backdrop against which the orange imparts a freshness and the raspberry swirl a nice tartness. These taste divine toasted and spread with coconut butter, or my favorite way to eat them is to chill them in the fridge, crumble one in a bowl, drench it in coconut milk and top with a big spoonful of raspberry chia jam. MmmmmmMMM! Jeez I’m a weirdo.
Coconut Orange Raspberry-Swirl Muffins
Makes about 10 muffins
3 1/2 Tbsp melted coconut oil (or grass-fed butter)
1/4 cup coconut milk
3 Tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla
zest of one orange
1/3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
Raspberry Chia Jam
1 cup raspberries
2 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 180 C/ 350 F
- In a small bowl, microwave the raspberries and honey on high for about a minute, until they get soft and juicy. Mash them up and add the chia seeds, stirring them evenly throughout the raspberry-honey mixture. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs until frothy, then add melted oil, coconut milk, honey, vanilla, orange zest and juice, and whisk until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine coconut flour, desiccated coconut, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, and thoroughly mix. Add the apple cider vinegar, stir through, and let sit for 5 minutes (it’s okay if it’s a little lumpy from the coconut flour, it won’t be after it sits)
- Grease a muffin tin generously with coconut oil or butter, or use silicon muffin liners (the first time I made these I did the former and it worked out, but the second time I used paper liners and they stuck, so don’t make the same mistake I did!)
- Fill the muffin liners/tin halfway with batter. Drop a spoonful of the raspberry chia jam into the middle of each muffin, swirl with a small knife or fork, then top off each muffin with a little more batter. Make sure the liners/tin are not more than 2/3-3/4 full.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle of the muffins comes out clean.
- Let cool, and serve with more raspberry chia jam, butter, honey or coconut butter!