Friends! I’m back in the recipe development saddle, and boy have I got a treat for you today. As a southern gal I know my way around some cornbread. There are different styles of cornbread, and some people will tell you that there’s only one way to make real authentic, southern cornbread. But I’d argue otherwise. Everyone’s grandma had their own quirks to their recipes– some used creamed corn, some used fresh corn, some didn’t use corn at all. Some used sugar, some used honey, and some didn’t use any sweetener. Some used coarse cornmeal and some used fine. My grandma, however, is Italian, so I don’t have a family cornbread recipe to go off of. I’ve tinkered with a few recipes, but I’m really bad at following other people’s recipes, so I ended up coming up with my own!
The result is just peachy 😉 This recipe is pretty awesome with or without peaches, so do whatever floats your boat. The key to the extra crispy crust is preheating the skillet in the oven with the butter or bacon fat, so don’t skip that step!
- 1 C fine ground cornmeal or masa harina
- 1 C medium ground cornmeal
- ½ C tapioca or arrowroot starch
- ⅓ C coconut palm or maple sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 C milk of choice (organic dairy, coconut, almond)
- 8 tbsp butter or ghee, melted
- 2 large ripe peaches, diced
- Preheat your oven to 375 F. While it's heating up, place a 10-12 inch cast iron skillet in the oven with a tablespoon of butter/ghee OR bacon fat.
- Combine the cornmeals, starch, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Add the liquids to the flours and stir to combine.
- Add the melted butter, and stir just until evenly combined. Fold in the diced peaches.
- Remove your skillet from the oven carefully, and swirl the melted fat around so it coats the sides. Pour the batter into the skillet. It will immediately start cooking along the bottom and sides of the pan. Place the skillet back in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 30 minutes before cutting and serving!
- Store in the fridge.