So I buy kale pretty often, but sometimes the bunches are kind of scrawny, and sometimes they’re HUGE. Like so huge that I don’t know what to do with that much kale.
Recently, after getting through about half of a gigantic bunch of kale, I was getting kind of tired of it. I decided to switch things up and make some creamed kale. I’d never actually had creamed kale before.. but I knew creamed spinach was a thing, so I assumed creamed kale was too. The result was SO delicious that I had to share it with you guys! Like wow. So good. Just try it.
- 2 slices of bacon
- ½ medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5-6 packed cups of kale, sliced into roughly ½ inch wide strips
- 1 cup of broth/stock
- ½ cup coconut milk (full fat)
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon to your liking. Remove bacon from the skillet and set aside, but leave the grease in the skillet.
- Add the thinly sliced onions to the skillet and sauté over medium heat. Once the onions start to turn translucent, add the minced garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes or so.
- Add the kale and broth to the skillet and bring to a simmer. Cook until the broth boils down and the kale is soft.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk the cumin, chili powder and salt into the coconut milk. Once the broth has cooked down in the skillet, pour in the coconut milk, and simmer for 3-4 minutes, or until the coconut milk thickens a bit.
- Remove from heat, and serve with the bacon sprinkled on top!