Many of you know that I spent two years going to school in Scotland. Now, paleo is not nearly as mainstream in the UK as it is in America, so I was often asked, is it hard to stay paleo in Scotland? The truth is no, it’s not hard if you’re willing to cook. Much of the UK has access to amazing grassfed meats and fresh produce from local farms. Sure, eating out you don’t have as many options as we do here in the States, but it’s doable! So now, we just need some people on the ground spreading the word so that the real food movement can gain more steam in the UK.
This is why I was super excited when Tom and Osman of 30Thrive reached out to me and asked me to become their 30Thrive “Kitchen Creator.” Wait, rewind. Let me explain 30Thrive. So 30Thrive is the first UK specific paleo lifestyle challenge. Most of you have probably heard about Whole30, 21DSD and the Whole Life Challenge— of these, 30Thrive is most similar to the Whole Life Challenge, but it’s really quite unique. The 30 day program enables you to reinvigorate your wellbeing through nutrition, movement and mindset. When you sign up to participate in a 30Thrive challenge, you receive meal plans and 30 days of paleo recipes, some of which are exclusive recipes developed by yours truly that you can’t find anywhere else You also receive personalized exercise programs to kick start or advance your physical fitness, positive mindset strategies and support, and the community provided by the fellow 30Thrivers and the 30Thrive team, including myself! There are also two higher level packages that provide you with more tools, supplies, consultations and support. 30Thrive is an amazing investment in your health—if you’re ready to take the bull by the horns and whip yourself into healthy shape, 30Thrive will help you set the tone for 2015.
Okay elevator pitch over. I’m just trying to say, if you’re a Brit and you’re interested in going paleo, check out 30Thrive and sign up here! In celebration of the official 30Thrive launch, I’m sharing with everyone one of the recipes I developed for the program! This Hearty Chili is one of my favorite recipes. Srsly. So. Good. Top it off with some avocado and voila! You’ve got the most bomb bowl of chili. Try it. I dare ya.
- 1 Tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 1 medium white or sweet yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.5-2 lb ground meat (I like to use a combination of pork and beef)
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 C mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin (ground)
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Worcester sauce
- 1 can of tomatoes or passata (14.5 oz, or a scant 2 cups)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot, then add the onion and garlic. Once fragrant and the onion has become translucent, add the ground meat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is browned.
- Add the chopped bell pepper, mushrooms, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cocoa and Worcester sauce. Stir to distribute the spices, and cook for a few minutes.
- If using a can of diced tomatoes, puree them into a smooth passata. Pour the passata into the pot, bring to a simmer, and let cook until the liquid has cooked down and you have a nice thick chili!
- Add salt and pepper to taste.