Helllooooooo people. So if you follow me on Instagram then you knew this recipe was comin’ at ya today. Originally I was inspired by this recipe, but since it’s vegetarian of course I had to come up with a Paleo version! It kinda reminds me of Thanksgiving stuffing with the flavor combination, but who says it has to be Thanksgiving for you to enjoy the trusty ol’ sage, sausage, apple, dried cranberry combo? Not I! I would eat this any day of the year. Except for the fact that Delicata won’t be in season for much longer 🙁 Don’t remind me. I’ve been eating so much winter squash and I don’t want to see it go. I think I may shed tears over it. I’m not kidding.
Anyways, here it is! This isn’t that complicated, but it looks fancy, huh? If you can’t find/don’t like Delicata, you could use Acorn squash like in the original recipe!
- Preheat your oven to 400 F and grease a baking pan. Rinse the squash, slice it into rings about ¾ in. thick, and scoop seeds out of the inside of the rings. Arrange on the greased baking pan leaving room in between them.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until it becomes slightly translucent, then add the sausage.
- Once the sausage has browned, add the diced apple and spices and cook until the apple has softened.
- Remove from heat, transfer the mixture to a bowl, and stir in the dried cranberries and whisked egg.
- Melt the butter, and stir together with the maple syrup. Brush the tops and insides of the squash rings with this.
- Spoon the sausage mixture into the middle of the rings, packing it in to fit as much as possible without letting it overflow. Brush the tops of the stuffing mixture with a little olive oil to prevent any burning.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until the squash is cooked and soft.
- Serve warm, and if you wish drizzle them with more melted butter and maple syrup!