So I teased you guys a few days ago (while I was out of town) with a picture of these, but I couldn’t post the recipe yet since I forgot it at home in Atlanta. But now that I’m home I can finally share these with you! And boy am I excited to do so 🙂
Initially when developing this recipe I browned butter to yield a nuttier, richer flavor, and they turned out great. But the second time around, I had a spark of genius: OMGhee! This stuff is the bees knees man. If you don’t know what ghee is, educate yoself. If you do know what ghee is, good for you. Regardless, you all need to get your hands on a jar of OMGhee specifically. It’s magic. It tastes like toffee. And you can use it anytime that you would usually use butter or oil. I guarantee you it will enhance the flavor of any and all of your dishes/recipes. So go buy a big ol’ jar of OMGhee. You won’t be sorry.
So anyways, I decided to sub the browned butter with melted ghee, because OMGhee is awesome and I knew it would take this recipe to the next level.
These are the perfect salty-sweet treat. Fluffy blondie + coconut caramel + sea salt = yummy in my tummy. It also = a burnt mouth if you try to eat them straight out of the oven. Don’t do it. I learned the hard way.
- ½ cup butter or ghee (as already stated, my weapon of choice is OMGhee)
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup almond or coconut milk
- ⅔ cup almond butter, or nutbutter of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup+ 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 14 oz cans coconut milk
- ½ cup honey
- 1 tsp sea salt+ more for sprinkling
- Preheat your oven to 350 F, and grease an 8x8 pan, or line it with parchment paper.
- First, make your caramel. All you do is put the coconut milk, honey, and teaspoon of sea salt in a pot over medium heat. Whisk it all together, and bring it to a simmer. Let it simmer, stirring occasionally, until it thickens and turns a caramel color. It’ll most likely take 20-30 minutes, so while it’s simmering, you can now make the blondie batter.
- If using butter, brown your butter (here’s how). If using ghee, just melt it over low heat.
- Once browned/melted, whisk your butter/ghee together with the honey, milk, almond butter and vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk your eggs until frothy and light, then whisk into the wet ingredients.
- In a large bowl, mix together the coconut flour, almond flour, salt, cinnamon and baking powder. Pour in the liquid mixture, and mix until just combined.
- Pour half of the batter into the pan in an even layer that covers the bottom. Spoon the caramel on top of this layer, and drizzle it so that it covers most of the batter. Then slowly pour the rest of the batter on top of the caramel to cover it. Use a spatula to smooth out the top. It’s okay if some of the caramel is peeking through. Sprinkle 1 tsp of sea salt on top of everything.
- Bake for 17-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool, then cut into 16 squares. Serve with a shmear of almond butter and some banana slices, topped with coconut milk ice cream, or just plain jane as is!