So this week/weekend is the CrossFit games, so it has me in the mood for some game day grub. A majority of the events are today-Sunday, so I’ve presented this recipe just in time for you to whip these up in time to kick back and watch the Games this weekend!
Even if you don’t CrossFit, I really suggest you check out the Games this weekend because It’s. So. Awesome. Here’s the schedule for media coverage: http://games.crossfit.com/about-the-games/coverage
Anyways, these hot wings were a knockout on the first attempt! As I was searching for hot wing recipes to figure out the best way to cook the chicken, I came across Alton Brown’s steam and oven grill method. So I put Mr. Alton Brown to work (or maybe I just channeled him), and used his genius method to produce crispy chicken wings without frying them! I then whipped up a simple buffalo sauce of Tessemae’s hot sauce, ghee, spices, lemon juice and vinegar, tossed the wings in it, and served them with some paleo ranch dressing.
Game day or not, these buffalo wings are sure to wow
- 2 lbs chicken wings
- 3-4 Tbsp hot sauce (I like Tessemae’s!)
- 3 Tbsp ghee, coconut oil, or grassfed butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp apple cider or white vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Put a large saucepot with 1 inch of water in the bottom and a steamer basket over high heat. Cover, and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn the heat down to medium, put your chicken wings in the steamer basket and steam for 20 minutes. Stir the wings around halfway through so they get evenly steamed.
- Remove wings from the basket, lay them out evenly (not crowded) on a cooling rack set on a baking sheet, and place the sheet+rack+wings in the refrigerator for an hour to chill (this is essential for achieving crispy oven fried skin)
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. Put the sheet+rack+wings in the oven, and roast for 20 minutes. Turn the wings over and roast for 20 more minutes. *
- While the chicken is roasting, melt the ghee/coconut oil/butter, then whisk in hot sauce, garlic powder, paprika, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper. Transfer the sauce to a bowl large enough to hold all the chicken wings.
- Remove the wings from the oven, and toss with the sauce in the large bowl.
- Serve with some paleo ranch and celery sticks!