Last week I made these bad boys for an Instagram pancake contest called #showusyourstack. Out of hundreds of entries, I was selected for the top 5! Now, that was the end of the road for me, because the winner was determined by votes, and votes=likes, so the finalists with the most followers were obviously going to get more likes. My measly 500 followers didn’t stand a chance against the 7,000-20,000 followers that each of the 4 other finalists had. Ya win some, ya lose some. And I gained a bunch of followers because of these so I’m not upset! Speaking of, if you have Instagram, you should go follow me (@primalbites), and enter into my giveaway going on this week! The prize is over $40 worth of paleo goodies and clean eats (including EPIC bars, flax snacks, coconut oil, Quest bars, nut butters and much more!)
Back to the pancakes. Voting aside, I’m obviously a little biased, but I think my pancakes were the most unique and creative out of the lot. I mean, baked Alaska for breakfast? Yes please! Did I mention they’re Paleo too?
So here they are: Paleo Banoffee Baked Alaska Pancakes
banana pancakes + coffee caramel + sliced banana + maple meringue
These. Were. Epic. Need I say more? No. Okay let’s get to the recipe.
Paleo Banoffee Baked Alaska Pancakes
For the Banana Pancakes
1/2 large banana, mashed
1 tbsp sunflower seed butter or almond butter
1 tbsp almond flour
1.5 tbsp coconut flour
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda
salt and cinnamon
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
For the Meringue
4 egg whites
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp lemon juice or cider vinegar
For the Filling Layers
½ banana, sliced thin
Coffee caramel- about 1/3 of a batch of the Urban Poser’s caramel with 1/2 tsp coffee extract or 1 tsp instant coffee added
- First make the caramel (recipe here), so it can simmer while you prepare everything else. Also preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Mix all the wet pancake ingredients until smooth, then the dry separately.
- Combine wet and dry, and mix until smooth.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, with coconut oil or butter. Once hot, spoon out a few tablespoons of batter onto the skillet, and cook about 2-3 min per side; flip them when they get bubbly.
- Layer pancakes with coffee caramel and banana slices.
- Whip the egg whites for the meringue with a stand or hand mixer. After 3 minutes add the acid (lemon or vinegar), and whip for another minute, then add the maple syrup and salt and whip about 2 more minutes, until it forms semi-stiff peaks.
- Pipe or spread the meringue over the pancake stack, and bake at 350 F for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
- Om NOM nom nom.