Well here I am, a few days past due on my promised sugar-free treat recipe. But better late then never, right?
I blame my busy schedule these past few days. I went to two engagement parties this weekend, and then yesterday I had work all day, and then one of my best friends got home from South Africa last night (Yay! Hi Ellie!). But now that I’ve found some free time, I was able to make and photograph these lil’ nuggets of joy. And did I mention they’re sugar free? But don’t let that fool you, I swear these don’t need any sweetener even for people who are eating sugar. They’re plenty sweet from the coconut butter and sunflower seed butter (both of which have proved to be my vices this past week.)
This first week of the 21 Day Sugar Detox I’ve depended WAY too much on coconut butter and sunbutter for snacks and satisfying sweet cravings (ahem, just look at this recipe…). And I’ve learned something. If I eat too much of either one of them at one time, my stomach gets mad at me. It’s kind of disconcerting how much coconut and sunflower seed butter I have consumed in the last 7 days. Before the 21 DSD, it had taken me weeks to make a dent in both jars. Now, I’ve pretty much annihilated my jar of coconut butter and eaten like half a jar of sunbutter. I think this is because of the mental part of sugar addictions. I still feel the need to end my day with something sweet, and I can fill that need with sunbutter and coconut butter. So I’ve decided that in the attempt to reduce my mental dependency on desserts and sweet things, I’m not going to buy any more sunbutter or coconut butter until I finish the 21 days. If I’m in need of a bedtime snack, instead I’ll try to reach for protein and healthy fats. But for now… I get to finish off my Cinnamon Sunbutter Snowballs 😀
- 2 Tbsp coconut butter
- 1 Tbsp+1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp+1 tsp sunflower seed butter
- 3 Tbsp coconut milk (can sub any other milk)
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp+1 tsp coconut flour
- 1 Tbsp+ 1 tsp desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- For the coating:
- 1 Tbsp coconut butter
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 2-3 Tbsp shredded coconut
- Melt the coconut oil and 1 Tbsp of the coconut butter in a small bowl, either over heat or in the microwave. Be careful not to burn the coconut butter- it should only take about 30-45 seconds or so in the microwave, depending on the strength of your microwave. Once melted, add the remaining Tbsp of coconut butter and stir until evenly melted and combined.
- Add the sunflower seed butter, coconut milk and vanilla, and whisk or stir with a fork until smooth.
- Add coconut flour, desiccated coconut and cinnamon to the liquid mixture, and stir with a fork. The mixture will begin to clump together as the coconut flour soaks up the liquid. Continue stirring until the “dough” becomes one big clump (sounds appealing, huh?)
- Form the dough into little balls.
- Now for the truffle coating, melt the coconut oil and 1 tsp coconut butter, and then add the remaining 2 tsp coconut butter. Mix until melted and smooth.
- Coat the truffles in the melted coconut oil-butter mix, then roll them in the shredded coconut.
And there you have it, a sugar free treat that anyone can enjoy!